Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Getting Old...

Every Wednesday and Saturday there is a farmers' market in the plaza near my current apartment. As if there weren’t enough constant reminders these days that I’m getting old(er) -- friends getting married, having kids, buying houses, etc., etc. -- the fact that a farmers’ market now appeals to me may in fact be ultimate indicator.











As a kid I remember hating farmers' markets – they were boring and had absolutely nothing of interest to me. They were a place where moms liked to go. And what kid wants any part of that when he’s little? Yet now I find myself making excuses to stop by it each week. Times have definitely changed.

As you can see from the pictures, there’s a broad selection of fresh food on sale in the various booths: bread, meat, fruit, vegetables, cheeses.




















Thus far I haven’t been very ambitious with my selections, sticking mainly to baguettes, fruit and some vegetables here and there. Perhaps if I cooked more (or better), I could actually take advantage of all the good stuff on sale.











The booth with the spices is definitely intriguing, though I think one actually needs to know what he’s doing in the kitchen before going that route…

No comments: