Sunday, January 31, 2010

Sannenmöser – Day II

The view from our room was a great one. This morning the sun was out and allowed for some nice pictures. Given the hotel’s location, we were able to put on our skis right our front and ski about 30 yards over to one of the runs. From there it was a short trek down the mountain to one of the gondolas or chair lifts.











Today was another great day of skiing. There was even some sun for the first part of the day, though the afternoon brought some light snow that provided a fresh dusting of powder. Overall, I felt more comfortable today than yesterday and definitely saw signs of improvement. That said, I still have a long way to go before returning to the level that I was at in my skiing “prime”.










After two days of skiing, two observations stand out above the rest. First, the Swiss are unbelievable skiers. You can tell that skiing is definitely a way of life for them. While I’m sure the elite U.S. skiers can hold their own against the elite Swiss, the average person you see on the slopes here is far better than the average one that I remember seeing at ski resorts in the U.S.

Second, nearly everyone on the mountain wore helmets. This is definitely different from what I remember in the U.S. Perhaps things have changed a little over the past 10 years, but I’m pretty sure that they haven’t changed that much. In a way, I felt like an outcast on the mountain because I wasn’t wearing one. There was even a program so that anyone who wasn’t wearing a helmet could try one out for two hours. Don’t get me wrong…I thing it’s a positive thing. Given all the injuries that can take place on the slopes, there’s really no downside to wearing a helmet.

Once the lifts closed we stopped for a drink at one of the warming huts in the middle of the slope adjacent to our hotel. It was a great way to relax after a long day of skiing.

We then headed back to the hotel to gather our stuff and then head down to the car (once again via snowmobile) for the drive home. Here are some pictures while heading from the slopes to the hotel.










Here are some pictures that I took of a church in Rougement, which is about 15 minutes from Saanenmöser. We thought it was beautiful, so we decided to pull over to take a couple of shots. It turned out that the Gstaad music summit also involved this church and there was a concert later in the evening. Definitely a cool venue for a show…













No comments: