Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Beaucoup de neige en Suisse

My two-week vacation finally came to an end. And if that wasn't painful enough, I had to endure a marathon day of travel from M.B. back to Switzerland. Fortunately, my first flight from L.A. to Zurich went smoothly -- aside from not being able to sleep on during the 12-hour red-eye flight, that is. The same unfortunately cannot be said for the flight from Zurich to Geneva....

After boarding on-time, we were initially delayed for 15 minutes as we waited for some people who had connecting flights. Unfortunately, they never showed so we spent the next 45 minutes on the tarmac while baggage handlers frantically searched for the no-shows' checked bags, which had to be removed from the plane for legal reasons. As a result, our delay ended up being twice as a long as the flight itself. That said, I can't really complain given how minor my airport issues were compared to those experienced by many other travelers this holiday season.

Upon returning to Switzerland it quickly became apparent that the balmy California weather did not make the trip with me. When landing in both Zurich and Geneva, all you could see from the plane was snow. Not that I'm complaining -- it actually feels kind of nice to experience some real winter weather. The only question is whether I'll feel the same way in a week or so.

Here's a picture I took after getting back to my apartment. The snow was coming down pretty hard at this point and there was probably a good two inches on the patio. To get this much snow in Lausanne is actually pretty rare given its low elevation and the impact that the lake has on the local weather.











By morning the snowstorm had stopped, but the snow remained as can be seen from the picture below. Waiting for the bus in the freezing temperatures was definitely no fun, but at least the snow made for some nice scenery

No comments: