Sunday, November 29, 2009

Exploring Paris - Part I

As I write this I’m on the return train from Paris to Lausanne and it’s hard to believe that the trip has come to a close. I can’t thank the Ryans enough for a fantastic time in Paris and for taking me in as one of the family for the Thanksgiving holiday. One of the downsides about living abroad is the sheer distance from family and friends, so it’s always extra special when I’m able to see those from back “home”.

Weekend Recap…

On Friday we started off the day by checking out the Christmas “markets” along the Champs Elysées.











There were basically hundreds of individual booths lined up on both sides of the street for Christmas and people were selling everything from food and candy to clothes and handmade crafts.










For lunch we had grilled magret (the “breast of a fattened Moulard duck”, or so the internet tells me) sandwiches and they were unbelievably good.

During the afternoon, a couple of us took the metro over to the Eiffel Tower. The line to take the elevator to the top was extremely long, but there was no line for those willing to climb the steps so Drew and I went up on foot. I had never gone up the Eiffel Tower before and the view was beautiful.




















For dinner we ate at Le Grand Colbert in the Galleries Vivienne. We did not know until we arrived, but it was the restaurant where Jack Nicholson, Diane Keaton and Keanu Reeves ate towards the end of the movie Something’s Gotta Give. I vaguely remembered the scene but would definitely not have made the connection if the restaurant didn’t showcase the film on the back of the menu.

No comments: