Friday, December 4, 2009

Barcelona – Day I (Part I)

Today I flew to Barcelona for the weekend. The flight only took about an hour, which makes it a very easy weekend destination from Lausanne. Here’s a picture from the airport – the palm trees are what caught my attention first.

After dropping off my luggage at the hotel and grabbing a bocadillo (sandwich) and some croquettes for lunch, I headed out for some sightseeing. My first destination was Mount Tibidabo, which required a five minute funicular ride up what felt like a 45 degree incline.


While the funicular seemed to be perfectly safe, I must say that the ride was a bit nerve-racking given that there appeared to be no emergency brake should the cable pulling us up the hill snap.

The views from to top of Tibidabo were incredible. It was a bit hazy so you couldn’t see the ocean clearly, but the majority of Barcelona was fortunately visible. The most spectacular views were from the top of the cathedral atop Tibidabo.










For a couple of Euros, you can take an elevator half-way up and then hike up the stairs the rest of the way. I typically don’t mind heights, but when standing at the top it definitely took me a couple of minutes to feel comfortable walking around.











No comments: