Monday, December 7, 2009

Hong Kong

The flight to Hong Kong from Zurich was indeed a long one. After watching the movie Julie and Julia (pretty good overall, though I found the Julia Childs portion of the movie much more interesting than the rest), I fell asleep and woke up eight hours later. I think this was the first time that I’ve ever legitimately slept on a plane. The only problem was that when we arrived it was late afternoon, so I’m sure jet lag is going to hit me hard in the next day or so.

My initial impressions of Hong Kong are very positive. The views on the drive in from the airport to the hotel were very beautiful. I particularly liked how the steep, lush green hills rise up so vertically behind the skyscrapers on Hong Kong Island. The hotel is very nice as well (we’re staying at the Island Shangri-La) and the service level is incredible.

Downtown Hong Kong definitely rivals New York City in terms of population density. The number of people living in such a small geographic space was pretty astonishing. It felt like there’s effectively zero personal space. It is also worth noting the state of some of the apartment buildings downtown. For being such an expensive property market, I didn’t expect for so many of the buildings to look like they’re literally on the verge of crumbling.

For dinner we headed across the harbor to Kowloon and ate at a very nice restaurant in a high-rise the overlooks the skyline on Hong Kong Island. The pictures aren’t the highest of quality since I took them through a window at night without a flash, but you can nonetheless get a feel for what the view was like.











The dinner itself was amazing and consisted of crisp asparagus; vegetable spring rolls; boneless lamb ribs (perhaps the most tender I’ve ever had); beef tenderloin; and chicken fried rice.

No comments: