Sunday, December 6, 2009

Barcelona - Day III

I’m now at the airport getting ready for a quick flight to Zurich before an 11 hour flight to Hong Kong. I’m not looking forward to the next 14 or so hours of travel, but at least my departure flight isn’t until after 8pm so I was able to have a full Sunday to further explore the Barcelona.

Today we continued our cultural enlightenment by visiting the Museo Picasso and the Fundació Joan Miró (pictured).


While both museums were interesting, I feel like I was able to appreciate Picasso’s work more. In general, Miró’s work was a little beyond my artistic comprehension. That said, I really liked a work of his called “Landscape” – it’s a large blank canvas with one tiny dot. If you’re an artist and you can get to the point where you’re able to sell something like that for good money, you’re definitely doing something right.

For lunch we stopped at a tiny local place not far from the Museo Picasso and had an unbelievable meal. We started with pan y tomate (which tasted incredible despite basically being bread and tomato) followed by grilled gambas (shrimp), Spanish tortilla (effectively an egg and potato omelet-like concoction that I also had in Madrid) and seafood paella. Five years ago I would have only eaten such a meal to be polite (a meal with no meat?), but now I’m able to see the light.

After lunch we spent the afternoon walking around Parc Güell, which apparently began as a real estate venture between Gaudi and a wealthy patron but was never completed and eventually became a public park. Overall, I really liked it and found the views of the city to be remarkable.



















No comments: